ALL SAINT’S CHURCH, SILKSTONE
A church has been on this site since the 11th century and remaining elements of Norman architecture can be found within the present grade 1 listed building.
The church was re-built in the late 12th century to a Norman cruciform layout having a central tower over the nave and chancel crossing with north and south transepts.
The current church is built in the Perpendicular (1350-1550) style of architecture, which is quite common to this Pennine area of Yorkshire. It was during this period that the central tower was taken down and re-built at the west end of the nave. This was completed in 1495.
This church is worthy of being called the ‘Minster of the Moors’ as its interior contains a late 15th century timber roof adorned with numerous finely carved roof bosses above aisled nave arcades with their clerestory windows.
The nave contains box pews dating from the 1820’s along with previous owner’s name plates on the doors. One of the oldest gravestones in the church dating from 1588 is located in the main aisle between the pews.
The Perpendicular carved oak screens to the chancel and the Bretton and St.James chapels are one of the finest features of the church.
The original Norman chancel was virtually rebuilt during the 1850’s and was finished with a new timber hammer-beam roof.